Ernest Withers trusted Photographer of MLK Jr & FBI Cointelpro Informant

Posted on 4:11 PM by Isaac | 4 comments

Story Can Be Found Here

For those that aren’t aware Ernest Withers was THE ORIGINAL civil rights photographer. Responsible for taking the most famous pictures of the king movement. To hear that this man was an FBI informant for Cointelpro the Program that built around subverting black liberation human rights movements. Im am hurt to my fucking heart b/c journalist have a duty to protect their source and to humanize the demonized. Furthermore this was a black man in the movement and action i would give anything to have been apart of. This is the man who took the famous “I Am a Man” Sanitation strike Photos. How can such a man be in the midst of such a struggle and allow himself to be used like that.

Fuck man

Im not so naive to think that the 60's was the giant love fest of blackness b/c it wasnt. It was dangerous, deadly undertaking that required bravery and sacrifice that many couldn't muster. But b/c then the movement for us was so visible my mind simply can wrap around how this many could be privy to what he was privy to and still do what he did.

The facts arent all out as of yet, and Withers has passed and his side may never be told. Who knows what the FBI could be up to with this information. When u have situations like this you ask yourself the question who can u trust in serious movement towards black self determination.

sad day

I talked with my dad. Born in the 50s he came up watching all of these things. When I told him, his words where "that makes sense". I admit i was a lil surprised by his casual acknowledgement.

He went on to say that "'They' (Cointelpro & FBI) were trying to get anybody they could to infiltrate the black liberation movement. I distinctly remember having professors come in and watch us (my father attended the university of Florida was a member of Omega Psi Phi and a collegiate athlete in wrestling) talking about doing studies. Some even tried to recruit me and my friends. They were a danger to the status quo. What i want to know is what did they have on him, how where they threatening him."

Dad as usual comes through. Like i said whole story isnt out yet.

4 comments:

Dr Stuart Jeanne Bramhall said...

In my work in Seattle's African American community (between 1987-2002), it was quite common for brothers to discover that a best friend - even one from childhood - was being paid by the government to set them up. I write about my own close encounter with the seamier side of US intelligence in my recent memoir THE MOST REVOLUTIONARY ACT: MEMOIR OF AN AMERICAN REFUGEE (www.stuartbramhall.com). I currently live in exile in New Zealand.

Anonymous said...

2 part question. 1). His art work gose on display, this month. This imformation comes out now???
2). When can I expect the truth about the JFK, assassnation to come. I've been waiting :-)

Isaac said...

@anon hell if i know. i want to get all the info before i past judgement although for some the mere suspicion is enough. knowing how his family could have been under threat or possibility of him gaming the fbi are possibilities all the facts arent out.

Isaac said...

@drstuart i'll be sure to check that out