Posted on 2:16 PM by Isaac | 1 comments

CNN is running and op-ed about sexuality in the black church due to the civil charges being levied against Bishop Eddie Long., and per my experiences in the black church its fairly spot on. The black church is very very conservative consider the bible to be the authoritative word of god and have no problem quote scripture as their answers to just about any question. And they are entitled to their outlook. I find that outlook shitty b/c it stagnates critical thinking but its their choice. I've known many people who self identify as Christians who have struggled with their same sex feelings. Being formerly Christian myself i understand the feelings of inadequacy from feeling disconnected unable to hear the "God's voice". I know what it feels like to have struggles and need comfort and then have people cite my relationship with "God" as my problem. I can remember imitating and eventually faking certain actions b/c i thought i would get me closer to "god". So when i think of what it is grow up in that context and then also trying to balance a same sex attraction (or anything that wasn't vanilla or "traditional" sexual relations) has to be exponentially more soul crushing. Being different in a religious context is not well received and the black church is no different. Its not a safe space.

however what i also notice is that to this day i have not seen many investigations of any kind into the catholic church which is predominantly white. My people are often turned into fetish objects (the bad kind) or exotics at best in a society of white normative standards. I take not and exception to the double standard despite how necessary i think the discussion about sexuality, exploitation, and the black church needs to happen.

This is what we call Hyper-Visibility and Invisibility. When there are negative things to say about my people its front page news, its the most actively reported information. Creating and confirming stereotypes about my people. However where there is positive work being done there is Invisibility. These good folks are unseen often b/c of the fact that these folks challenge the stereotypes and in this media world we know that the white normative standard is marketable b/c it satisfies instead of challenges the existing social reality.

something to think about.

For the moment lets focus on shining light on the exploitation and repression that exists among us.

1 comments:

Michael Simpson said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV2XBNl5604&feature=player_embedded


I agree and this video says it all.
check out nabundance.blogspot.com